Whale Watch Weekly Update - 13th February 2017
Kia Ora Friends
***WHALE WATCH KAIKOURA UPDATE***
We are now 3 months on from the 7.8 earthquake that struck on 14th November 2016. So much has happened in that time to get us to where we are now as a company and a town. The support, encouragement and care shown by our industry partners, guests both past and present, and fellow Kaikourians has been overwhelming to say the least. Work starts this week on State Highway 1 North with the vision of it being opened by the years’ end. Progress on the work being done (along with harbour repairs) can be found on this dedicated KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE page provided by the team at NZTA, this page is updated weekly on Friday.
Progress is being made on repairs to the Kaikōura Marina, we continue to switch between using a berth and our modified trailer unit for launching our vessel Tohorā, this is due to tidal restrictions and repair work due to the uplift of the coastline by +1.0m. Launching from the trailer is how we loaded our passengers in the old days of whale watching.
Currently our available tour times are based around the tide times on the day and may differ from the tour times originally advertised. For an update on the tour times available please contact our Customer Service team directly either by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +64 3 319 6767 or free phone 0800 655 121 (within NZ) and they will be able to help you with your inquiry. Please note we are operating at a reduced capacity in the interim with up to 3 tours operating per day, please contact our team prior to arriving in Kaikōura to secure a space on one of our tours and to save disappointment.
- Our Customer Service team are available from 7am daily.
- Our Gift Shop is also open 8.30am – 5.00pm. There are many fantastic marine & local based products available both in store and online BUY ONLINE TODAY.
- Flukes Café is also open from 7am – 4pm with fresh baking, great coffee, friendly service and stunning views on offer.
Kaikōura Business Update:
- 78% of Accommodation Providers are currently open for business.
- 88% of Retail, Hospitality and General Service Providers are currently open for business.
- 88% of Activity Providers are currently open for business.
- EARTHQUAKE UPDATE FAQ's
- SH1 SOUTH to Christchurch is open between 6am – 8pm
- INLAND ROUTE 70 between Hanmer Springs and Kaikōurais open 24/7
- SH1 NORTH from Kaikōura - Picton is closed for up to 12 months
All subject to weather conditions, slips, repair work and seismic activity. Updates available from the NZTA WEBSITE.
Intercity has daily services from Christchurch to Kaikōura with a return service from Christchurch, timings as follows:
Departs Christchurch 07:00 Arrives Kaikōura 09:40
Departs Kaikōura 15:50 Arrives Christchurch 18:25
Again we thank you for your patience as we continue to work toward being back fully functional, but for now we are very thankful for the ability to be able to take the people we can out whale watching.
The team at Whale Watch Kaikoura.