Whale Watch Weekly Update - 7th February 2017
Kia Ora Friends
***WHALE WATCH KAIKOURA UPDATE***
Over the last week we have been very fortunate in viewing sperm whales on our tours along with a rare sighting of a pod of beaked whales pass by the coastline – there is not much known about this species of whale due to their rare and infrequent sightings worldwide. When time allowed on our tours we also saw dolphins, seals and marine birds, Kaikōura really is such a marine mecca.
Progress is being made on repairs to the Kaikōura Marina and we continue to switch between using a berth and our modified trailer unit for launching our vessel Tohorā, this is due to tidal restrictions and repair work due to the uplift of the coastline by +1.0m. Launching from the trailer is how we loaded our passengers in the old days of whale watching.
Please note that currently, available tour times are based around the tide times on the day and may differ from the tour times originally advertised. For an update on the tour times available please contact our Customer Service team directly either by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +64 3 319 6767 or free phone 0800 655 121 (within NZ) and they will be able to help you with your inquiry. We are operating at a reduced capacity in the interim with up to 3 tours operating per day, please contact our team prior to arriving in Kaikōura to secure a space on one of our tours and to save disappointment.
- Our Customer Service team are available from 7am daily.
- Our Gift Shop is also open 8.30am – 5.00pm. There are many fantastic marine & local based products available both in store and online BUY ONLINE TODAY.
- Flukes Café is also open from 7am – 4pm with fresh baking, great coffee, friendly service and stunning views on offer.
Please refer to our social media channels for regular updates throughout the week, when and where they are available.
Kaikōura Business Update:
- 78% of Accommodation Providers are currently open for business.
- 88% of Retail, Hospitality and General Service Providers are currently open for business.
- 88% of Activity Providers are currently open for business.
- EARTHQUAKE UPDATE FAQ's
- SH1 SOUTH to Christchurch is open between 6am – 8pm
- INLAND ROUTE 70 between Hanmer Springs and Kaikōurais open 24/7
- SH1 NORTH from Kaikōura - Picton is closed for up to 12 months
Please note there are speed restrictions in place for both road accesses. (All subject to weather conditions, slips, repair work and seismic activity). Updates available from the NZTA WEBSITE.
There is also a new website dedicated to the KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE that has weekly updates on the progress being made with the road, rail and marina work being done.
Intercity has daily services from Christchurch to Kaikōura with a return service from Christchurch, timings as follows:
8728 Departs Christchurch 07:00 Arrives Kaikōura 09:40
8727 Departs Kaikōura 15:50 Arrives Christchurch 18:25
Please visit their website for more details and trip bookings INTERCITY BUS SERVICE
We appreciate your continual support and words of encouragement over the last 11 weeks,
The team at Whale Watch Kaikoura.